5. Friday - Remember when Ice Cube was a gangsta rapper? Me neither, but this is a great movie about two stoners in south central LA. I'm too high to remember exactly what the fuck this movie's about. Something about getting some money to pay some gangsters before Friday is over and the bad guys kill the main characters (while smoking in between of course). Chris Tuckers portrayal of the ridiculous Smokey provides a good balance to Ice Cube's overly serious (whilst high? lol) Craig. Overall, this is a classic film and a definite must see for anyone who loves blunts, bitches, and 40s.
4. Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle - A film about the ultimate munchie mission. I'm sure we can all relate to the epic adventure that happens on this search for the perfect food to satisfy those cravings. And did I mention they ride a cheetah, marry a bag of weed, and bump into the human form of all things badass - Neil Patrick Harris? This movie is great stoned or sober because of its sheer absurdity. Watch it!
3. Half Baked - The film that introduced the world to the comic genius that is Dave fucking Chapelle. To be fair, all the actors in the film did a great job. The portrayal of stoners is so realistic that I'm pretty sure they were all stoned off their asses when the film was shot. Still, I can't help but admire Dave Chappelle's sharp wit and subtle intellectual references throughout the film. You're not a true stoner until you've seen this film.
- Scientist: Janitor? Uh, janitor?
- [taps Thurgood, who gets frightened]
- Thurgood: Ah! Oh..sorry 'bout that. What is it, scientist?
- Scientist: I know this isn't your responsibility but, uh, could you be a dear and run this down to the supply department for me? It's on the second floor. [hands Thurgood a note]
- Thurgood: Just run this down?
- Scientist: Yes, but make sure you bring the order right back to me. I need it A.S.A.P.
- Thurgood: Gotcha. Hey, I know this isn't your responsibility but just wipe the rest of this shit up [hands him a mop] I'll be right back.
2. The Big Lebowski - The movie is basically about a broke stoner who gets mistaken for a millionaire with the same name as him. Hilarity ensues. Not gonna lie though; I watched this movie like 7 times before I knew what the fuck was going on. But that didn't stop the movie from being goddamned hilarious every time. It's full of ridiculous dialogue, a hilarious plot, and the most absurd yet genius characters I have ever seen ("Nobody fucks with The Jesus") .
1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - This has got to be one of my favorite movies of all time. Based on the novel by Hunter S. Thompson (which is, depending on who you believe, based on a true story), this movie has it all: drugs, adventure, politics, and nostalgia for the 60s and 70s. The specific plot is irrelevant, its the journey that counts in this film. It is epic on so many different levels, but what's great about it is that it can be as deep as you want it to be. You can read between the lines and meditate about past times and what freedom really means in America or you can just sit back, relax, get high, and enjoy the amazing visual scenes created by Terry Giliam. And I shouldn't forget to mention the legendary performance given by Johnny Depp, who followed Hunter S. Thompson around for months before starting the film, so as to exactly replicate his image and personality. Be prepared for quite an experience when watching this movie.
(Sorry about the quality of the clip, it was the best I could find that captured the general mood of the film)
Edit: I just want to mention that there are a lot of great movies out there but I am obviously bias towards comedies ^^